With the exception of very few men on the planet, most have hair on their face but what do you really know about it? Below are thirteen facts about facial hair that you probably didn’t already know.
1. The longest beard ever measured belonged to a Norwegian man, its was 5.3 metres long. This was in 1927 and the man is no longer with us, the longest living beard belongs to a man in England and is currently measured at 2.4 metres.
2. Ever wondered how long you could actually grow your facial hair if you put your mind to it? Well wonder no longer, it might surprise you to learn that it would grow to a mere nine metres if you never shaved your whole life.
3. Beard growing actually has its own name; if you are cultivating your facial hair then you are practicing Pogonotrophy.
4. Facial hair has its own association. The world beard and moustache association exists for the soul purpose of promoting beard and moustache growth. There is even a yearly championship.
5. Abraham Lincoln’s famous beard came about because he received a letter from a little girl suggesting that he would look better with one.
6. And it isn’t just the men that get involved; surprisingly the longest female beard is measured at 30cm!
7. The average number of hairs on a mans face is 30,000 and he will spend on average 3350 hours shaving over his lifetime.
8. In the group ZZTOPS the only member that didn’t have a beard was the man with the surname ‘beard’.
9. Alexander the great was one of the first men to make clean shaving a popular look. He ordered his entire army to stay clean shaven and would force them to shave regularly.
10. Your facial hair will grow quicker if you don’t have sex. Strangely if you avoid sex for any length of time your facial hair grows quicker. It is thought that the hair was a sign of virility in the past so your body reacts to try and attract the opposite sex.
11. Shaving regularly does not make your facial hair grow faster, this is a complete myth.
12. The only king without a moustache in a deck of cards is the king of hearts. This is because the other suites are linked to corruption, wealth and war.
13. The average moustache will trap a pint and a half of beer ever single year. It’s a small price to pay for sporting the whiskers.
So there you have it, thirteen facts you probably didn’t know about facial hair! Feel free to drop them in every day conversation.